2010-04-16

First Day at Work

I arrived to my first day at work an hour early. I was so nervous about being late, I took the early bus and looked around. On the first floor service area of the Ceremonial House there is the woman's locker room, cafeteria, and offices. Capt Cooks (a quick service restaurant) in also on the first floor. . On the second floor is the HUGE kitchen, chefs office, Ohanas, and Kona Cafe. The bakery provides desserts for the three restaurants.
I met my two trainers Ashlee and Leeanne. Leeanne trained my on Wednesday and then Ashlee took over for the next five days. I worked in the dessert bar in Kona Cafe. Later I will move to another part of the bakery. Ashlee describe the Polynesian culinary staff as a big family. She then said the bakery was the odd red headed child. I really understood that.  The bakery shares a kitchen with Ohana and Kona Cafe. We report to all the chefs, but really don't have a chef directly above us. There are eight desserts in Kona. On a slow night there are 400 covers. 650 is considered busy. There is always only one person making the desserts for the whole restaurant. (STRESSFUL)
Set up for cream pie
Waffle Iron for Kona Cone
Chocolate Temperer
View from door
Kilauea
Cheesecake
Kona Cone
Kids Make Your Own Sundae 

Coconut Kiki Tart (cream pie)
No Sugar Added Apple Stack
Fondue
Chocolate Banana Creme Brulee