2009-08-03

My Adventures in the Land of Patisserie

My boyfriend and I embarked out to find the best bakeries/patisseries of north Chicago.
Our first stop:

Vanille Patisserie
2229 N. Clybourn

The reviews of the place said the entremet and croissants were to die for. We got one of each.

The entremet was amazingly good. I savored each bite not wanting it to end. The creamy white chocolate mouse and vanilla cream was balanced perfectly with the mango glaze and coconut lime dacqouise. While eating it, all i could think of was "I love my life!" The croissant was equally delicious. The flavor was unlike anything I ever tasted. It was so tender and rich. Whatever store-bought crap that dares to call itself a croissant is just a plain insult. The place also decorated cakes, and we enjoyed looking at the pictures while we ate.


Stop Two:


1636 Montrose

The place was retro-themed, and a little too cutsie in my book.


They had about 10 different kinds of cupcakes, all decorated silly with bright
colors or squiggles. We got a milk chocolate malt cupcake and a mixed berry scone.



As far as cup cakes go, it was pretty good. I had the feeling though like I was paying to much for it and I could make it on my own. It was basically a chocolate cupcake with a huge helping of butter cream frosting and milk chocolate melted on top. The scone was goo, nothing better than you could buy at a store. It reminded me of the Trader Joe's scones actually.




Stop Three:
Dinkles
3329 N. Lincoln Ave.

By far the worst place we went to, but it might have been different if we had cake. We ordered a spinach croissant and a plain doughnut. The place has been around since 1922; it had the feel of not changing much since then- a nice family bakery. I was not impressed at all. I will give them a second chance if I ever get around to it though. The food we got was stale.




Fourth Stop
1114 W. Belmont Ave.

I liked the atmosphere of this place. They had classical music in the background and were open for brunch. They had hundreds of different items to choose from. I picked a Bailey's Cream truffle, a mocha mouse, and a shortbread snap. Every thing was exceptional. I especially enjoyed the truffle, which I love making myself.



Fianal Stop:
Pasticceria Natalina
5406 N. Clark St.

Upon entering, I noticed the many newspaper articles plastered on the wall in recognition for wonderful treats. I knew what ever we got was going to be good. We got the cassatine. usually I'm not a fan of marzipan, but here it made a excellent combination. The overall experience was light. There was a perfect balance between fruit and cream. If it wasn't for the first place, my toes would have been curling with joy.
Vanille takes the cake. Everything about it was perfect- the experience, the food, the scenery. GO THERE!