2010-09-24

4am Shift


Banana Bread
This training was one of the most stressful in my life. Jimbo is transferring to the Animal Kingdom bakery. His last act at the Poly was training me. I knew what needed to be done during this shift, so it wasn't that I was clueless, it was that I couldn't manage my time. I came on my first day and started glazing the danishes, Ohana breakfast bread, cinnamon rolls, and the other morning pastries. Jimbo started on the luau mousse. I did the banana bread, and the parfaits. All those tasks are supposed to be done (alone) by 6am, and we just made the deadline. The next day Jimbo called in, leaving me to do the mousse alone. I wasn't paying any attention when he did it the day before, so I had to remember what I learned in school, and use it like a crutch. I worked for hard and fast by the time 6am came around I burst into tears out of stress. I managed to get everything done with no help. Chef Lawerence came around and said MY banana bread was the best he saw in a long time. He even used the word perfect. The next day, was Jimbo's last, he spent most of his shift gossiping and saying goodbye to everyone. I would have liked more training but he gave me a sink or swim situation, and I came out on top.

Luau Mousse
44 lbs Chocolate
48 qts Heavy cream
1 qt Egg yolks
10 lbs Sugar
22oz Gelatin

Bloom the Gelatin in cold water. Melt the chocolate and 24 qts of heavy cream in a large kettle. Whip the rest of the cream to soft peak stage. Whip up the yolks and sugar in a separate bowl. Combine the whip yolks and cream together. Melt the bloomed gelatin in the chocolate. Pour the chocolate with the rest of the mixture. slowly whip it together. Make sure it doesn't get over mixed.

Banana Bread
20 oz over ripe bananas
.75 oz BS
.75 oz BP
10 oz Ap Flour
2 lbs sugar
6oz macadamia nuts
3oz coconut

Cream together butter and sugar. In another bowl combine flour, salt, BP, and BS. Add the bananas to the butter mixture until mushy. Add the eggs slowly as to not break to mixture. stir in the flour mixture. and by hand fold in the coconut nuts. Using the 4 oz scoop fill the well greased trays. Bake at 315 for 22 min.