2010-09-24

Back to dessert bar

They have discovered I am good under pressure so they put my on dessert bar (for feels like forever).

The shift starts at 230pm. I get there at 220ish everyday. First I go straight to the bar and see who was on morning shift (90% of the time its Dorthy). The morning shift is in charge of production and general prep for the bar. There is a clip board with a to do list on it. If shes wasnt able to get the list finished it means a whole lot of hassle for me. So the first thing i always do is check the clip board.
At 230 we have pre-meal meeting. The chef tells us how many reservations we have for the night, and iother useful information and critique.
Break time is always between 4-5 for this shift its a race against the clock to get everything done so i can actually go to break on time. I basically just make sure everything is ready to the evening. Check the par on desserts, make whipped cream (side note: we use Dairy Fresh. Its heavy cream with sweeteners and stabilizers so when we make whipped cream we simply pour the containers in the mixer plus we can do it hours ahead of time and it wont liquefy.), and finish the tasks the morning shift didnt. The morning shift leaves at 330pm so there is a nice hours overlap to accomplish everything (of course it seems like the morning person didn't get any work done and they're leaving the burden on me).
After break its immediately go time. Dinner service starts at 5 but the first order doesnt pop up until about 6. I get all the desserts trayed up and in the coolers (cheesecake, cream pie, brulee, coco puffs), and set my plates up.
For the Cream pie I set up six square plates and arrange two lychees, two raspberries, and a mint sprig on each. For the Fondue I set up six rectangle plates and delicately arrange two kiwi, two chunks of pineapple, three strawberries, two coconut macaroons, and two macadamia nut brand snap cookies. I leave a stack to rectangle plates for the brulee (because after I torch it, its just a simple matter of putting it on the plate, arranging the banana, and sticking on the chocolate curl.).

And then it starts. One ticket pops up, then one right after, then two more. I have the dessert bar down so well I have to think about my motions very carefully to write about them. To me the actions are so en-grained in my head its like I have been plating for Kona all my life. Its unlike anything I know. My brain is working fast to deciede the most efficient way to get the desserts out and I am plating so fast. Its almost like a dance. The bar itself is small, but big enough to give me a work out as I run around.
At the end of the night everything hurts. I can't wait to clock out and take my uniform off.  It feels like I just came home from battle. Dessert bar: conquered!