2010-09-27

7am Cont.

My day:
AT 6:50 ish I go to the desset bar and store an extra apron in the top drawer. I then grap, the order sheett, spoilage sheet, and to do list. I began filling out the basics. At 7am pre-meal begins with the rest of the bakery and the 'Ohana crew. The chef goes over the theme and goal of the month "be courteous to all guest including children" or "Remember to smile". The number of reservations for both 'Ohana and Kona are covered. Someone always gets sidetracked and the meeting lasts 15 minutes longer than it is supposed to. By the time its over, i basically sprint out the door to get to work.
I begin with simple tasks. I gather all the triangle plates, I stack the plastic black bowl in 1/3 hotel pans, and i wash the fruit. I then move on the silk screening the plates. This always takes longer than i would like. I do about 90 kiluaea plates, 60 cheesecake, 6 anniversary, and 10 happy birthday.
And then i start on the chocolate. We keep a par of 6 containers of Mickey stix, and 8 rolls of dark chocolate curls. If i see there is close to enough (like 5 containers and 7 rolls) i dont bother doing it.
Next i move on to the fruit. I make three containers of each fruit- one for lunch service and two for dinner. Since the coolers out at the dessert bar are broken everything is on short term cold holding. For dinner service the fruit is first place out at 5pm- it needs to be replaced at 9pm. (hence 2 of each fruit for dinner).
By the time i finish that tak its about 9am. I like to go on break at 10am (and come back at 11) so i do odd jobs untill then- like make the sauces, or waffle cone batter and set up my station.

My favorite thing to do ever- is make the displays. most everything is made with shortening. I go in back to the bakery and grab five large scoops of shortening. Two are for the Kona cone -one chocolate (colored with cocoa powder), one vanilla. One is for the Kid's sundae. One is split for the two quenelle scoops on top to the apple stack and the cheesecake. The last on is for the base of the cream pie. The kileaua, and the cream pie get piped on shortening with a star tip (we keep and bag ready in a drawer). I can take my time with the displays- i try to make them so irresistible no guest could say no.

At 12 pm lunch service starts and the displays need to be out and perfect before then. 12pm to 3:30 its a juggling game. I need to plate desserts and still get everything crossed off my list. I try to make it that only the cream pies, ramekins, and cookies are left to do during this time but.. life happens. If its a busy lunch- my whole world goes up in flame. I like to have it so the PM person has a smooth night, but if i can't get production done- it leaves them screwed.

If lunch is slow (which it is quite often)- When the PM person shows up i leave them up front and I go back to the bakery to make white chocolate curls, cookie batter, and other tasks that need to get done- but not necessarily every day.

This shift is definitely not my favorite- by far. Id rather be on 4am.